Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Mrs Hessey's Diaries (update)

I started transcribing my grandmother's diaries in October 2008, for some strange reason choosing as my point of departure the year 1943, whereas it would have made more sense to begin in 1939 with the death of my grandfather. Anyway, I am now half-way through the year 1957 and this means that it has taken me just over five years to cover twelve and a half years of my grandmother's life. In other words, it has taken me almost half as much time to write about it as it did my mother to live it!

Taking the years between 1943 and 1957, two people died in my grandmother's family, three grandchildren were born, two grandchildren got married and three great-grandchildren were born.

For the years between 2008 and today I am not too sure of myself. I know for sure that three great-great grandchildren were born but that doesn't take into account developments in Australia and elsewhere. I am waiting for an update from the family archivist!

It is a strange experience hopping back and forth between the postwar years and the 21st century and I sometimes think I am leading a double life. Although my grandmother's life might seem humdrum in the extreme, it is in fact that very humdrum quality that I find most comforting at those times when I am feeling low and out of sorts. It is supremely unthreatening like a crossword puzzle or a novel by Agatha Christie. Whatever the state of my own existence, Gran will still have a good night thanks to Soneryl but awake feeling exhausted; she will shop locally in Clifton Rd in the morning and call round to see Mab, Lil or Enid in the afternoon. Depending on the weather she may have tea on the loggia or beside the fire, and Reg may phone up to say that he will be travelling up to town next weekend.

Another thing that emerges from the pages of these diaries is the importance of the family and this is something that, seemingly against all odds, has survived to this day.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:24 am

    When in doubt, consult the family archivist. And to be thorough you really should include all the expatriats.
    (ahem - thazzmee, if you were wondering).

    ReplyDelete

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...