Tuesday, April 15, 2014

What I Think about When I Listen to Henryk Goreki's Third Symphony

There should be an accent on the "o" of Goreki but I don't know how to generate it. I can type Gòrecki but it's not the right accent. According to The Guardian, the symphony is the "best-selling piece of classical music of all time". I suppose they mean of all time up to now. Even so, it seems an unlikely claim. What about Dvorak's New World Symphony, for example? But let it pass; it is a matter of little import to me.

If it were not such a disparaging term, I would say that the Third Symphony is mood music, in the sense that it gradually installs an almost overwhelming emotion without commanding my undivided attention. As I surrender to the music, my thoughts wander to other matters....


  • Whatever else might be said about the situation in Ukraine and Crimea, there is no gainsaying the fact that it represents the greatest humiliation for America since Hugh Grant told the President of the United States where to get off in Love, Actually. A humiliation for Europe as well, but then we're used to that.
  • As the American ex-Ryder Cup captain Paul Azinger points out, a professional golfer only actually plays  golf for about 6 minutes in the course of four rounds of golf. The rest of the time is taken up with walking around, selecting a club and studying the grass.
  • In our general reverence for classical music, we tend to forget that a lot of it is not really very good. I am not thinking merely of music that has sunk without trace but also of works by reputable composers. It is not subversive to suggest that there is an awful amount of dross among the gold. In a different sphere, I am acutely aware that not all, indeed not any, of the posts in this blog are much good.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...