Tuesday, July 22, 2014

A Riff

No news is good news, or, as the French say when attempting to speak English, no news are good news. But the old saying is absolutely right:  no news is good news nowadays. Apart from royal weddings, can you think of any good news? The Queen's birthday, did I hear you say? Harry Truman said that if you don't like the heat....... So perhaps the solution is to switch off the radio and leave the newspaper unopened. What an idea. Looking at things from the point of view of the journalist or news reader, I wonder what effect the steady reading or telling of catastrophes and massacres has on them. The same as on us probably.

Concluding this riff, which I almost regret embarking on, life itself is by definition bad news, especially mine. Have you seen the way it ends up? All I can say is that I hope I am looked after by a robot caregiver in my increasingly old age. "Your Binson and Hodges, Sir?"  it will inquire politely, for its pronunciation is not yet perfect. I would also like to be buried by a robot gravedigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...