Sunday, July 12, 2015

Railroads and Railways

I walked into the station concourse just as the train to San Fernando was announced. "Last train to San Fernando, if you miss this one you'll never get another one". I made my way over to Inquiries. 
"What other trains have you got?"
"There's a 3.10 to Yuma", I was told.
"3.10 to Yuma", I mused. "What time does it leave?"
"3.10, Sir".
"The trouble is, I have no good reason to go there, and there isn't anybody I know there".
"There's also a 3.50 from Paddington, but it's running late".
"I'm not surpised", I said. "Where is it bound for?"
"It's bound for Morningtown, many miles away, but I'm afraid it doesn't carry any passengers".
"Anything else?"
"Well, if you don't mind travelling rough, there's a third box car midnight train, destination Bangor, Maine".
"I'll take it", I cried. "After all, I'm a man of means".

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:16 pm

    Did no-one mention the Chattanooga Choo Choo on track 29, leaving Pennsylvania station bout a quarter to four?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe line, I presume?

      Delete
  2. If you change your mind about Maine, there's also a midnight train to Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be Tbilisi, Georgia, I presume?

    ReplyDelete

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...