Sunday, August 30, 2015

Two Types of Sharing


There are at least two types of sharing. The purest type is surely when the act of sharing results in your having less of what you had when you started. When I was at boarding school, our parents stocked us up with sweets and chocolates at the beginning of term. This “tuck”, as it was called, was immediately impounded by the school staff and distributed in equal shares to all and sundry once a week. This was undoubtedly the nearest the staff or anyone else got to espousing communist principles.

This reminds me of a question my young grandson once put to his mother, as he eyed the chocolate cake in front of him. “Mummy”, he asked, “can I not share?” What was his drift? Was he seeking permission from his mother to share the cake with his sister, or was he, as I suspect, asking if he really had to share it at all? Either way, it was an interesting exercise in ambiguity, worthy of inclusion in William Empson’s Seven Types of Ambiguity. This was the first really heavy and difficult book that I borrowed from the library (and quickly abandoned).

Another type of ambiguity is best exemplified by Facebook in which members are enjoined to “share” upbeat – and carefully filtered – moments from their life. Can their lives really be as cloudless and happy as they appear to be? I certainly hope not. I myself am particularly keen on sharing what I consider to be interesting articles I have read or pieces of music I have heard. There is a self-regarding aspect to this, of course, as one is in a way sharing the quality of the original.

Here are a few articles that have recently taken my fancy:




http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/31/opinion/stephen-king-can-a-novelist-be-too-productive.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...