Saturday, February 12, 2022

From The Inside Looking Out

After a month or two of reading the novel which made Jonathan Frantzen's reputation but whose name, it goes without saying, I've already forgotten, I am about a quarter of the way through his latest book called Crossroads. Both books carry the unmistakable hallmark of the author's extraordinary insight into the wellsprings of human action, but whereas I found the former very funny at times, the latter is striking me as sadder than before. At the same time I am acutely aware that the change is entirely within me. The world has become a darker place for me in a very short lapse and it has little to do with physical problems or outside circumstances. It is, I'm afraid, nothing more or less than the inexorable onward march of dementia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...