Monday, July 06, 2009

Family Reunion – a Personal View

Anne’s parents celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary last weekend some 1200 metres up in the wilds of the Jura mountains. This is an extraordinary achievement and, like Roger Federer’s 15 Grand Slam victories, unlikely to be equalled let alone surpassed any time soon.

There are a lot of things one could say about these family get-togethers, but one should try to avoid the temptation of raising one’s own personal reaction to the level of an eternal truth. I personally seem to function fine for about a couple of hours, feeling alert and sociable during cocktails, but as the aperitif merges into the meal proper, and as the festivities stretch into a SECOND day, a terrible lethargy steals over me. It is as though I have no stamina on these occasions, which is strange for an ex-marathon runner!

Is it something to do with my interaction with the other members of the French side of the family? Marginally, no doubt, but that is as much a reflection on me as it is on them. And would I be all that different in a similar gathering of my English extended family. I honestly don’t know. I think I would but I can’t honestly be sure of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...