Friday, March 11, 2011

Paper or Electronic?

Our three-week sojourn in Dubai gave me an opportunity to compare the experience of reading the International Herald Tribune in its traditional paper format with the version specially produced for the iPad. Much to my surprise, the IHT turns out to be a more sober, even more austere read in its electronic incarnation. I think this is mainly because one is less distracted by the presence of other articles or advertisements. There are advertisements, of course, but they are less pervasive than in print. More importantly, it is far easier to follow an article through to its end without having to turn over several pages and without having to contend with rival stories for one's attention.

The result, as I say, is a more austere experience, closer to the sensation of reading a review like The Spectator or The Economist. This takes a bit of getting used to but on the whole I think I (will grow to) prefer it.

On the plane back to Paris I read John le Carré's latest novel Our Kind of Traitor. As long-time readers of this blog may know, I think le Carré is one of our greatest writers, and this book, in my opinion, is right up with his very best work. But I mention it here for a different reason: I read it on my iPad, having downloaded it from Amazon. Once again, it was an entirely satisfying experience, the only rather off-putting aspect being that one one really has no idea of where one is in the book - near the beginning, half-way through, near the end. In this case, the end came like a bolt from the blue!  

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Barnaby, John le C/David Cornwell is an amazing writer, and an inspiration being now in his 80s. Rubadubdub has sailed us by his house with a view++, and I have 'spied' on him in Penzance supermarket carpark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm glad I'm in such good company! I particularly liked his latest book (have you read it?) because there is more "spycraft" than in some of his more recent novels and because it is located in some of my favourite Le Carré locations: London, Paris and Switzerland. A particularly memorable scene is set at Roland Garros during the final of the French Tennis Open!
    Incidentally, a good place to get a close up view of the world's greatest tennis players in action, and at very cheap prices, is - DUBAI!

    ReplyDelete

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...