Sunday, April 24, 2011

British Embassy, 24th July, 1945 (I)

Dear David,
Your letter arrived today and I am only too glad to tell you about the last days in Canada with our missing friends for it was a happy time for us all.

As you know, I was the tenth member of the Delegation party that set out from San Francisco on the evening of June 27th for Seattle. I am told that all the girls and some of the men were up before 6:00 a.m. next morning to see the sun rising above the snow-capped Cascade Mountains, but I can offer no first-hand evidence on that point. When we realised that we would have to spend three hours at Portland changing trains, I wired ahead to my friend the Consul, and when we arrived we were whisked off to a memorable steak dinner at his club. At Portland, too, we bought an extra suitcase to cope with Agnes' overflowing San Francisco purchases, and at Joanna's instigation, sent off a combined cable to Lorna Verner at Prodrome for her birthday. I hope it arrived in time.

Next morning at Seattle we found to our relief that the Canadian Pacific authorities had ordered the Vancouver boat to wait for our party, and so our forebodings about a wild dash from station to pier proved quite unnecessary. Even so, Doreen had considerable difficulty in finding her Seattle relative - I think, an aunt - and it was only after we were afloat that I managed to link them up. Her aunt then accompanied us on the all-day sail through the Puget Sound, so like the Western Firths of Scotland, to Victoria and Vancouver. It was a fair, breezy day and we were all windblown by the end of it, but to be finally separated from the sight and sound of telephones and typewriters was a joy to us all.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:59 am

    Hurrah, the muse is back on form!

    Could he now bring us some more 'jottings' from the leaves of our Grandfather's diaries - last heard of also aboard some tramp steamer and ploughing towards the Dark Continent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When was I NOT on form, if I may make so bold?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I suppose it's time to get back on board the RMSS Saxon!

    ReplyDelete

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...