Friday, May 06, 2011

Henry Cooper

I don't suppose there is such a thing or person as the quintessential Englishman, any more than there is the quintessential Frenchman, but Henry Cooper, who died a few days ago, epitomised for me all that is best in a certain kind of Englishman. My equivalent for France would be Bourvil. You only had to mention Cooper's (quintessentially English) name for my face to break into a broad smile.

Mention of 'Enery takes us back to an era when the sport of boxing was capable of enthralling an entire nation. It was actually a very popular sport at my school and, thanks to the presence of an excellent coach, we consistently beat much bigger schools.

Part of me would not be sorry if boxing, at least professional boxing, were to be banned. But part of me also looks back fondly to the time when 'Enery's hammer wreaked havoc on rivals, including the legendary Cassius Clay (as he then was). I always remember Cooper's manager, Jim 'The Bishop' Wicks sizing up the prospects of an opponent before a championship bout: "'E's a good boy and we'll 'ave to be careful. 'Course, if 'Enery pokes 'im with 'is 'ammer, 'e'll 'ave to go".

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:53 pm

    I think 'Enery would have loved this tribute, Mr. Dunn.

    And now - any fond memories of Sevi?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Anonymous, before I get round to my memories I must ask you to spell Seve's name correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:42 pm

    D'uh ..................

    Realised this as my finger pressed down on "publish".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although my readership is, shall we say, "select", it is sometimes difficult for me to pinpoint the presence behind the word "Anonymous". I usually have to rely on contextual clues to help me identify the origin of the comment.
    The last comment has got me flummoxed, though: "D'uh" (or "duh")is an American expression, surely? Oh well.

    ReplyDelete

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...