Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Modern Era: Clara Weeks

If modern European History begins with the reign of Charlemagne, modern family history, as far as I'm concerned,  may be said to begin with the arrival of Clara at No. 47 Hamilton Terrace. With the self-absorption characteristic of children, I never knew that Clara had a surname and, although I cannot think of the house in St John's Wood without thinking of her, I would be hard put to say much else about her. I don't quite know why, but I always thought of her as of vaguely foreign extract. Perhaps it was that clipped way of speaking? If anyone has hard and fast information about her, I would be very pleased to hear about it.

2 comments:

  1. EastAnglian5:34 pm

    I suggest you ask our sister!

    I remember that Clara always called Gran 'Madam', so presumably she'd always been in service? And do you remember those soap animals she gave to you? I think that must have been over a period of time, not just for one birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right about the soap animals! I don't suppose they would be worth much today...?

    ReplyDelete

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...