Wednesday, April 25, 2012

News Junkie

This is getting out of hand. I now subscribe to the following newspapers on my iPad:


  • The International Herald Tribune (not free)
  • The Independent
  • USA Today
  • Le Figaro
  • Slate Magazine
  • Slate Magazine (France)
  • The Evening Standard
Plus a host of other news apps including the BBC and Reuters. Incidentally, the Independent app seems to be an exact copy of the IHT in terms of presentation.
 It"s absurd. How can I (and they) go on like this? It's just as well that The Telegraph is not free as I'd probably get that as well!

***

I'm afraid the writing is very much on the wall for Nicolas Sarkozy. For what it's worth, I think his recent sharp move to the right is a tactical as well as a moral blunder. He is probably going to lose anyway but now he is going to lose with ignominy. It's easy for me to say, but I think he would have done better to tell the National Front to grow up, and concentrate his efforts on the economy and Europe. 
It's a shame as he has been a decent president, all told, and there is, in my opinion, a faint whiff of unavowed "racism" in much of the anti-Sarkozy frenzy.

2 comments:

  1. Greetings Barnaby

    As an outsider the French analyses of their presidential voting patterns so far and likely outcome, surprise me.

    I should have thought that those who supported LePenn would switch to someone on the right albeit less so than Mme Le Penn than someone on the left - in which case Sarkozy should win by
    if not a mile at least a kilometre.

    Hopefully I'm not committing a capital offence by voicing such opinions as there is a rumour
    that some predicting results is a non non during the election period

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am systematically wrong in my predictions, Jerry, (I tipped Bayrou to win a few months ago!) but if Sarkozy pulls it off now, it will be an extraordinary upset!

    ReplyDelete

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...