Sunday, October 22, 2017

Word Processor Vs Dication


Supposing that, for whatever reason, you were no longer able to use your preferred form of input.I am thinking in particular of course of a blog, but really any form of writing. What are the other options open?Handwriting, of course,  is an obvious choice, but no longer, perhaps irrational or natural one. Unnatural speed has diminished over the years, we make more spelling mistakes, and then there is a question of what to do with the the completed letter to communicate to somebody stop. In short, unless it really is the only possibility open to us, handwriting is no longer the obvious choice. Besides, we are likely to find it more tiring than before.

So handwriting is out. What does that leave us with? For a long time, the answer to that question was word processing and in fact in one form or another, this is what I've been using for the last 30 years, Struggling with the hassle of learning to type at the same time; my sister on the strength of her previous existence as a secretary didn't have any problem like that. Even today I lack fluency when it comes to typing and I don't suppose I will ever acquire it.Nevertheless, I think I would have been quite happy to chug along at less than maximum speed for quite some time but recently I've decided it's too much effort for me: amongst other things I'm making too many spelling mistakes and forgetting words etc etc.

If typing is no longer the best solution, then, what can I do? The answer -one that I have entertained on and off for several years now - is dictation!.I have hitherto abandoned  all such attemptsl, but like everything else in life - and when there's no alternative - you soon get the hang of it.

I shall report back on my experiences and insights soon.





1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:41 pm

    Not such a wild idea, Mr. Dunn. A friend who can barely use her hands now following sepsis which in turn followed cancer uses some contraption on her computer - just talks to it and let's it come up with the message. And extremely strange these messages sometimes are. Would you like me to introduce you ?

    Your ex secretary sister.

    ReplyDelete

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...