Sunday, January 26, 2020

Podcasts

Malcolm Gladwell's podcast series called "Revisionist History" is one of the best, and a mine of insights and information: I'm not a great fan of fireworks myself, subscribing to the view that when you have seen one firework display you have seen them all.This is just a lead-in to a remark I heard on a podcast the other day: "when you've seen one Jesuit you've seen one Jesuit". I'm not sure what point the speaker is trying to make, but it's a clever remark just the same. In the same podcast, there is the following: a Catholic tells his friend that he has lost his faith. "Are you going to become a Protestant?", asks his friend. "No", replies the Catholic. "I said I've lost my faith, not my mind."

2 comments:

  1. Hello again, Barnaby. Its good to see you back.

    As a graduate of a Jesuit college (Fordham), I can agree with the remark you’ve quoted. Some in clerical collars, some in leisure suits and chain-smoking through class. One who told he us prayed to Albert Camus as a saint. (What?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Michael. I didn't realize that you too had had the benefit of a Jesuit education.Albert Camus? Surely not!

    ReplyDelete

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...