Saturday, May 29, 2021

Of Pens and Pencils

 One of the nice things about losing my memory is that I'm not quite so interested in the truth any more.  Having said that, I think that what follows is a pretty good approximation to this elusive truth.


Like many of my generation, I started off using a quill and an ink well. I suppose if I scouted around I could probably dredge up one of the weekly letters I was forced to write home to my mother from school, but I don't feel like doing that just at the moment, so my first surviving record of original writing is a diary I started keeping when I was fourteen. Analysis reveals the use of a fountain pen, possibly a Parker 51, given to me by my dear sister but unfortunately lost fairly quickly, and an obvious predilection for Waterman's blue washable ink. Looking back now, from a time when I can scarcely write a sentence without having to correct, adapt or rephrase something, I am astonished to see how few crossings-out there were. Most remarkable and alarming of all was the way my writing style changed COMPLETELY and almost beyond recognition from one week or month to the next. Indeed I think it was only when I got to university that I settled upon the handwriting which has been mine ever since.

Pencils: I was at one time very keen on propelling pencils but otherwise only took a limited interest until the day when I had to provide and impose pencils with the right graphite hardness for exam purposes.  Should I issue HB or 2B pencils for the multiple choice part of the exam?

2B or not 2B, that was the question.




3 comments:

  1. I remember the "no. 2 pencil" stipulation with standardized tests (the SATs, I guess) in high school. No. 2 = HB, but different manufacturers have different ideas about how soft and dark no. 2 lead is. I sometimes wondered what would happen if someone dared to fill in the circles with a 1 (B) or 2B. That might be a good subject for a Glen Baxter drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It probably was HB but I can’t allow that to stand in the way of a witticism. On the other hand if I I knew how to get rid of the Baxter, I would be much obliged!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I the "dear sister" who gave you that Parker pen? I remember bringing you back a fountain pen after my summer in Canada but had no idea it was such a good one

    ReplyDelete

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...