Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Those Initials

More or less up to the time I left the shores of the Sceptred Isle, I spent a sizeable proportion of my life  playing, watch, listening to or reading about cricket. The "reading" part included hours poring over cricket scorecards, not only those published daily in the press but also those distributed almost in real time to spectators during test matches (and perhaps county games). I can't remember whether they were free or not.

Since those heady days over 40 years ago I have - with one exception - never played or watched cricket again, the exception being an unhappy occasion in a village north of Dijon some 20 years ago. And yet, the initials of the great players of the time are forever engraved on my mind!

PBH May
DCS Compton
JB Statham
FS Trueman
ER Dexter
RAW Sharp (a rugby player of course)
GAR Lock
etc. etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...