Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Cricket Scoreboards and Scorebooks


The old scoreboards were far removed from the electronic devices one sees today and required constant ministration from their minders. They looked something like this:



As for scorebooks, as far as I know they still exist. Those of you familiar with them will know that they give an extraordinarily comprehensive picture of a match and require unflagging concentration on the part of the scorer. They also require neat and compact handwriting, neither of which were or are my strong points. On one occasion when I was scorer for the Beaumont first XI, it started to rain towards the end of the match and my Parker 51-entered script was transformed into a sea of smudges and blotches. The worst of it was that it wasn't OUR scorebook for, in the interests of verisimilitude, we always filled in the opposing team's book. I hurriedly handed over the (closed) scorebook to my opposite number and headed swiftly in the direction of the school coach.





3 comments:

  1. Ahh Barnaby so you chose Cricket whilst at Beaumont. I could never get the bat and ball to meet so chose rowing instead and enjoyed several regattas and if I recollect correctly, their beer tents.

    The cricket score boards you depict are interesting though, as was a report on the radio this morning that a British Army 11 played a Pakistan side yesterday which fielded some of the Pakistan test squad. Apparently the English 1st 11 has not played in Pakistan for some while I think for security reasons, so yesterday's match (I think it only ended yesterday as I know cricket matches can go on for days) was apparently quite an event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were a wet bob and I was a dry bob, Jerry! Who was your coach. Was it Mr Scott? Ours was Bill Harrington, if I remember correctly.

    I didn't know about the Army v Pakistan match. I sometimes wonder whether sport cements relations between countries or communities or, on the contrary, makes them worse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible that we both recall Mr Scott Barnaby though sadly may he RIP

    ReplyDelete

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...