Saturday, October 26, 2013

The San Francisco Conference

One of the sites that I "follow" as a member of the Google+ community is the Google Cultural Institute ("Discover exhibits and collections from museums and archives all around the world.
Explore cultural treasures in extraordinary detail, from hidden gems to masterpieces"). https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/home?hl=en-GB

Imagine my surprise to see this yesterday:

"24 October 1945 - The United Nations officially came into existence, as the United Nations Charter took effect. 
Here's a photo of the San Francisco Conference earlier that year with Britain's Lord Halifax, Tom Connally, Harold Stassen and unident. others John Foster Dulles sitting at conference tables during sub-committee meeting of the Conference to adopt the UN Charter." 

The "unident(ified)" person, sitting on Lord Halifax's left, smoking a cigarette and looking half asleep, is none other than my father, Colonel Denis Capel-Dunn!

Click on the image for a better view.



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:52 pm

    Oh well done for finding this!
    Some years ago now I wrote to the Cabinet archives people to see what might be available and was sent several pictures but not this one. I think they were far more interested in seeing whether I could identify various people they couldn't - as if !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just posted another one! I'm not sure but I think the photos come from the Time/Life archives.

    ReplyDelete

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...