Sunday, December 07, 2014

Lost Without Trace


These days we are inclined to think that we can recover almost anything  in the realms of books, records (discs), film and television. All it takes is a bit of perseverance and imagination. 

Not so. For many years, the BBC deleted a large proportion of its output with the result that such masterpieces as the 1956 production of David Copperfield are now lost without trace. At least I thought it was a masterpiece at the age of 12, and I would have appreciated the chance to see how well or badly it had worn down the years. To this very day, I am haunted by the portrayals of James Steerforth (surely one of the most compelling characters created by Dickens) and Uriah Heep. Nothing that I have seen since comes close to my memory of that serial in black and white.


And then there was the haunting theme music which I eventually identified as the second movement of Mendelssohn's Scottish Symphony.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNn71y4OFt8

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...