Saturday, June 20, 2015

More Thoughts from Behind the Wheel

am very proud of my Hyundai, as well I should be for it comes with a radar system that stops me from inadvertently reversing into a wall, provided it is quite a high wall. The radar won't pick up a low wall or a cat or dog.
On the road, the Hyundai is a joy to drive. It's got cruise control but I don't use it myself as it doesn't make a blind bit of difference ; even when I'm driving at the statutory limit of 90 km an hour, French drivers blithely overtake me at the slightest opportunity. I can just picture them hunched behind the wheel, mouthing obscenities at me as though I was the one in the wrong! One tries to remain calm. I  make a point of yawning and looking out of the window, but not for too long for fear of drifting out towards the middle of the road. Luckily, there's a tractor ahead of me and I can legitimately shelter in the warm embrace of its slow speed. Why they - the tractors  I mean - are allowed on the road at all is beyond me. Don't they realise that some of us have got jobs we're in a hurry to get back to? Some but not many of us. Most of us belong to the Greatest Generation, the one that single-handedly broke the Soviet threat and brought the planet to the edge of extinction.
Perhaps I would garner more respect if I were the proud owner of a Dacia Duster or a Nissan Prowler? Their rugged, uncompromising lines are an example to us all. Difficult to choose, though, between the Chevrolet Stalker, Sniper and Snooper. Or again, between the Renault Collaborateur, Epurateur or Mégot.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:33 am

    Tsk - how extremely 'furrin'
    OUR English car most fortunatley starts bleeping before we reverse into the low wall in our drive so presumably would alert us to the lurking presence of the cats as well. So far they haven't waited to find out but have disappeared under next door's parked car in good time.

    I do so like your description of our generation! Makes me feel there's been some purpose to my life after all.

    ReplyDelete

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...