Saturday, October 24, 2015

A Life in Hi-Tech: Hardware 1

If I were to go back into the mists of time, I would have to mention a crystal set used in darkest Suffolk in the early 1950s; also a decent wireless procured by my parents on the strength of a win on the football pools. But for me the first real radio, and to this day still the best, was a Grundig device bought when we were stationed in West Germany towards the end of the same decade.

It looked something like this:




The sound quality has never been equalled except perhaps by the digital radios that have become quite popular in the UK but have unfortunately failed to catch on here in France. I spent many a happy hour listening to the American and British Forces Networks in Germany and later, when we relocated to England.

The series of terrible gramophones need not detain us here, and the next significant purchase was a Philips reel-to-reel tape recorder. My brother and I had a lot of fun scouting the house for the best acoustics. We found that the bathroom provided the deep resonance later copied by Jo Meek (Telstar) and Phil "wall-of-sound" Spector.

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...