Sunday, October 25, 2015

A Life in Hi-Tech: Hardware 2

When I crossed the Channel and moved down to Lyon in 1969, I was for a long time very homesick and desperate for any contact with the mother country. Telephoning home was not only very expensive but also complicated as it involved travelling in to the central post office and waiting one's turn while hundreds of young Americans called home to see if they had managed to avoid the draft.

Luckily, I had brought my aunt's old Roberts radio with me but this turned out to be of only marginal use in those Cold War days. Moreover, it was not very powerful and used Ever Ready batteries available only in the UK.



This upgraded Roberts looked nice but was not really any better, but I liked the look of it.




This Hitachi radio looked beautiful and I wish I had hung on to it. But the many shortwave bands were not as useful as I had hoped. Listening to the BBC on medium wave was quite good but, like Dracula, I had to wait till the hours of darkness, and even then the radio was prey to constant fading, jamming and interference. On the other hand, the VHF quality was excellent and the radio made an excellent amplifier as well.





The 1970s were the heyday of hi-fi and most people chose their equipment on the quality of its looks rather than its sound. I liked this Fisher receiver for its very cool blue display and understated array of buttons. I really couldn't pronounce on the sound.









No comments:

Post a Comment

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...