Friday, October 30, 2015

A Life in High-Tech: Hardware 3

I have been unable to trace the original all-plastic reel-to-reel Phillips plastic tape recorder mentioned in my previous post, but thanks to my daughter Laure, I can reveal this wonderful portable Sony cassette player/recorder, complete with detachable loudspeakers.



In the material world, this was one of the purchases that excited me and depressed me the most. You cannot go through a Jesuit education and expect to buy unnecessary consumer goods without suffering pangs of guilt and feelings of worthlessness.

In 1985 the streets of Dijon were plastered with advertisements for a product called the Amstrad PCW, propelling me to the heights of excitement and the depths of despair. The PCW was brought to market by Alan Sugar and was a computer dedicated to word processing. It boasted an awe-inspiring 256KB of RAM.



A little later in the decade, IBM brought out its PS/2 and, as far as I was concerned, ushered in the modern era for I now needed hardware for professional purposes and had little time for guilt. The excitement, too, gradually diminished but never completely disappeared.



The PS/2 keyboard, incidentally, was the best I ever used.

1 comment:

  1. Looks very much like a PS/2 50Z with an 8513 monitor. Yes the keyboards were simply excellent, each key individually sprung. None of this membrane rubbish. I remember in 1989 - 1990 those keyboards cost just under GB£150 (one hundred fifty). In those days, a small fortune!

    ReplyDelete

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...