Sunday, June 26, 2011

Ego Trip

The last time I ran a competitive race (a marathon) was about 25 years ago. In those days, especially in the minor races, one could rely on a lot of generously-proportioned entrants just in it for a lark, but the first thing I noticed when I arrived at the embankment at Saint-Jean to collect my race number was the lean and hungry look worn by virtually all the competitors... These geezers were certainly not in it for a lark!

Well, I found it hard going, I don't mind telling you, especially the long, straight and seemingly interminable stretch along the Burgundy Canal. To be honest I was a little disappointed by my time of 64 minutes (the winner took 28 minutes!) and I still feel that I can do better, even at my advanced age. I just need to push myself a little harder when I run on my own, without going overboard of course.

8 comments:

  1. Well done Barnaby - completing a 10k race in a tad over an hour is pretty good. A good rule of thumb for a good result in 10k might be one minute for each year of age.

    If the weather at the Saint-Jean embankment was anything like that in
    SW19 and SW20 today you must have been sweltering

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was capable of much better than that back in the 80s, but then they all say that, don't they?

    I was indeed sweltering, Jerry. I could even send you a photo to prove the point, but I don't think I will!

    Robin managed to get tickets for both the decathlon and the handball (the French are world champions). How did you get on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:20 am

    It is great that you did it Papa, no matter the time! I am proud of you! Love, Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:35 am

    I'm proud of you too !
    Don't worry about those lean and hungry types sprinting in after half an hour - we, your fond public, would far rather you survived!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I myself have run many such marathons, notabley the gruelling after luncheon Dash de Villefranche traditionally run between La Reserve de Beaulieu past M Niven's Fleurs du Cap to La Sloop de St Jean. Serious stuff indeed.

    Major Tim D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings Barnaby,

    I pleased that your son managed to obtain some good tickets for the Olympics. Mine are for an athletics session ironically including the men's 10km finals. Mrs maytrees and I will also be able to walk to some Olympic tennis here in Wimbledon including (bronze medal) semi finals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Myjor
    You don't seem to have been promoted much over the last 40 years. Best wishes, Harkers and sons

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Jerry. Care to swap tickets?

    ReplyDelete

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...