Sunday, January 29, 2012

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

I have recently seen, in less than perfect conditions, the latest film adaptation of a John Le Carré book, and once again I came away disappointed. In my humble opinion, no Le Carré book has transferred successfully to the wide screen, with the possible exception of The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (which I haven't seen) and The Tailor of Panama (which is more in the nature of a comedy).

Why is this? I think it is because his books are, when you come to think of it, short on action and long on atmosphere, description and dialogue, and this is not an easy mixture to translate to the cinema. In my view, the ideal format for Le Carré is the television series. Here, a talented director and gifted actors have the space and time to create the peculiar Le Carré world of betrayal and remorse. Television is often dismissed as the cinema's poor relation but its record in adapting classic works of literature - and I think we can include the Smiley books in their number - is often superior.

I also think Gary Oldman is too tall to play the part of George Smiley!

4 comments:

  1. I bought us a bargain dvd with the two tele adaptations for 'T, T, S, S' and 'S's People'from the early 1970s, which P & I recall appreciating v much all that while ago! We still do, and fully intend to re-watch every Cmas?! The new film 'T,T,SS' actually came to Portree in November, and friends offered us a lift; it was interesting to see what was left out! And I bought us online a p/b copy of the book on our return that v evening, having abandoned a previous one after a damp voyage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sara
    I would love to see Smiley's People as I thought it was the best of the Quest for Karla Trilogy. I also enjoyed A Perfect Spy. It's a pity Le Carré has never written any short stories as they often make good films. I think the best film of a Stephen King book was The Shawshank Redemption, based on one of his short stories.
    Love to you both

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings Barnaby
    Coincidentally just seconds before reading your post I had added TTSP to my Lovefilm dvd rental list and will post again when I have seen it. I too enjoyed the earlier films in cinema and especially on BBC TV.
    One of LeCarre's earlier films perhaps on TV had
    a great scene of spys meeting in a London park amidst banks of those wooden garden seats - you probably know the ones - strewn with commemorative plaques, That was taken just behind SJ HQ behind Farm St Church

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jerry
      No, I don't think I know this park. I'll be very interested to know what you think of the new TTSP. As I say, I was rather disappointed.

      Delete

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...