Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Beyond Black

I have just finished reading Hilary Mantel's Beyond Black. By any stretch of the imagination, this is an extraordinary book. On this occasion, though, I felt that the sustained brilliance and passion of the writing was not quite matched by the interest and power of the plot. With the benefit of hindsight, one could say that here was a writer waiting for a subject worthy of her immeasurable talent. In my opinion, she found that subject a few years later with and in Wolf Hall.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:59 pm

    I completely agree with you, Papa (welcome back, by the way!) It seemed to me that at some point Mandel had stopped being in control of her story. Impeccable writing, though. Engraved in my mind is this beautifully crafted sentence (by Al): "I'd say it is quite a triumph, really, the way I've been keeping myself together." I am envious of this sentence, I really am. Love, Laure
    PS: go to my FB and listen to a jaw-dropping Alison Krauss/Robert Plant duo!

    ReplyDelete

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...