Wednesday, April 28, 2021

The Subliminal Mr Dunn Comes Clean

 I don't think it's possible to keep a blog for any length of time without revealing quite a bit about yourself. I mean if that were not the case you probably wouldn't be interested in keeping one in the first place. After all, the main point of a blog is to share it with other people, unlike a diary where this is not necessarily the case. I therefore have no illusions about the picture that emerges of myself over the sixteen years I have been writing The Subliminal Mr Dunn - a picture of a preemptive, self-deprecating cast of mind that drives my family to distraction.


But here I run into a problem.  On the one hand, I do not want to be too revealing, to push the bounds of intimacy too far. On the other hand, there are times, especially now than I am entering the home stretch, when I feel the urge to provide a fuller insight into the sort of person I really am.

How to resolve this problem? I can go quite a long way down this road by referring to books, films, music, etc. But today I want to go much further and include a short story by a published writer that haunts me to this very day. I read it some forty years ago and have never forgotten it. It is, for me at any rate, quite beautiful and heartbreaking. 

It's quite a long short story so, first of all from a practical point of view, this is how you can quite legally go about downloading it free of charge. If you have ever had occasion to read a book online using the Amazon Kindle or Google Play Books app, you may have noticed that you can get an "extract" or "sample" of the book without having to buy the wretched thing. This is particularly useful in the case of a collection of short stories, as the sample is bound to include one or two complete stories! You simply go to the Google Books or Kindle site and do a search for the book in question.

The book in question is called Pack of Cards, an early collection of short stories by that wonderful writer and Booker Prize winner, Penelope Lively. This extraordinary woman could not write a dull sentence even if she tried, and is equally at home when dealing with comic, acerbic, compassionate and elegiac themes. The story I have chosen is the first one in the collection and therefore guaranteed to be included in the sample. It is called Nothing Missing but the Samovar

I hope you like it but can well understand if you don't!

10 comments:

  1. This was a new story to me and I've found myself enchanted. The nostalgia really grips! I think perhaps this might be because there are elements of our childhood at Ringshall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree, though curiously enough in view of my young age at the time, I was thinking even more of Lower Hall Farm.
    Are you a fan of Penelope Lively? I think she is one of our greatest writers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm ashamed to say I barely know her. More for my tottering 'must read' pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that should keep you going for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saved the pages and will be reading the story soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael. No obligation and no hurry. But whether it leaves you cold or worse, I would be very interested to know what you think!

      Delete
  6. Finally I read it, and I was not left cold. It really is Chekhovian. (Though I haven’t read The Cherry Orchard since I was a freshman in college.) My favorite line: “A mansion and a family past are not very realisable assets.”

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finally read it, and I was not left cold. So much like Chekhov (though I haven’t read The Cherry Orchard since I was a freshman in college). My favorite line: "A mansion and a family past are not very realisable assets."

    Trying for a second time to leave a comment -- my Google account often makes for trouble with comments. (It’s me, not you!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. (Trying one more time to leave a comment.)

    I finally read it, Barnaby, and I was not left cold. Jst the opposite. So much like Chekhov (though I haven’t read The Cherry Orchard since I was a freshman in college). So many poignant touches: the paper yellowing, the old saddle that maybe could be used, the furniture that has just always been there. My favorite line: "A mansion and a family past are not very realisable assets."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Michael. And thank you for increasing the number of comments!

    ReplyDelete

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...