Monday, February 21, 2022

Lewy Body At Large

 What I take away from the previous article is the fact that a bilingual person can hope to live an extra four years compared to a monolingual person - a bonus to the typical 6 to 12 years vouchsafed  to this hapless soul from the moment of diagnosis. 

I know this is in rather bad taste but, as one demented person to another, it would be interesting, if not nrecessarily nice, to know, how much longer I have to live - that is if I really do have lo live. The bald fact is that someone with my particular brand of dementia may be expected to live for 6 to 12 years as from the moment of diagnosis but this is so vague as to be virtually meaningless. For example, how far down the road was I when the initial diagnosis was made? Was I already foaming at the mouth? Did I have to make a conscious effort not to keel over when walking? Should I take into account my age, my general state of health, my memory (currently standing at 0 RAM), my deafness, my violent mood swings and, on the positive side, my bilingual status (see above)?


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...