Sunday, September 01, 2013

Mr Selfridge

Have got to Episode 8 of this very entertaining TV series. Personally, I find it superior in every way to Downton Abbey. When my grandmother was alive and living in St John's Wood, Selfridges was her store of reference. I don't think there is any mention of Harrods in her diary.

I was interested to learn that it was Harry Selfridge himself who decided to position the cosmetics and perfume counter at the entrance to the store. This innovation has now been copied by every department store in the UK and France, I think. Certainly in the posh Monoprix outlet in rue Vaugirard in Paris, we are greeted by the likes of Estée Lauder and Chanel.

I wonder what they showcased before cosmetics. Knitwear perhaps?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:58 pm

    We'll just have to disagree as to which is the superior programme! Though I do wonder if your preference might have anything to do with being able to relate to Gran's favourite store? Grandad's, I believe, was the Army and Navy. And do you remember our mother garnering freebie lunches from all the hand-outs in the food hall? And do you remember Uncle Holly, that jolly old cove in green and a Dickensian hat. A big improvement on that sinister bloke with the white beard and ho ho ho form of communicating to be found in other stores.

    btw, please check on 'comments' in Mrs. Hessey's diaries

    ReplyDelete
  2. My least favourite store was Gorringes, purveyor of Beaumont school ties and collarless shirts. Incidentally, Beaumont Union ties can still be purchased from Benson & Clegg of Piccadilly Arcade. I learn that they do not hold large stocks "for obvious reasons". I can't think what they mean.

    Yes, I do vaguely remember Uncle Holly. I wonder if he's alive today, and if so what the hell he thinks he's playing at.

    ReplyDelete

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...