Sunday, October 23, 2011

Woolacombe Bay

I have never been to or heard of Woolacombe Bay in North of Devon but, as my grandmother spent a holiday there in 1950, I thought I would look it up. It looks a nice enough place but I'm not sure I would like to go there now. Why should that be? I think it is partly because I am easily afflicted by nostalgia, even for places I have never been to. But no doubt it is mainly because this time of year, beautiful as it is, always weighe me down. The sooner we're over with the falling leaves the better, as far as I'm concerned. Bring on winter!

3 comments:

  1. East Anglian11:20 am

    I absolutely (!) do not like winter, but apart from that do agree with your sentiments. It has always puzzled me why April should be considered the cruellest month, but it is a fact that it is the month with the most suicides which has to tell us something. For myself, the spirits need intensive care from harvest time till the next spring.

    And I understand about the nostalgia attached even to places we have never visited - but in my case I want to go! Well, witness our latest jauntette where I was heavily influenced by Nancy Mitford.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it just shows we're all different, doesn't it! I used to like autumn when I was young. Secure in the knowledge that there were plenty more where that came from, one could sit back and enjoy the beauty of the season. I'm not sure that one can do that now!
    I think I can understand why April is dubbed the cruellest month. For the unhappy and sick at heart it comes as the ultimate insult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. East Anglian12:21 pm

    Autumn - tis the dying of the light and harbingers of a lot more nasties before it can begin to get better. Of course there are (were) moments of pure joy like scuffing through drifts of leaves and the smell of woodsmoke and Christmas a'cummin in, but generally speaking it's mostly Bad.

    But April - yes, I do understand this really.

    ReplyDelete

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...