Monday, June 08, 2020

Troubles with Gender


I can’t pretend  that I was ever a dab hand in distinguishing between masculine and feminine nouns in French. You know, la maison but le jardin and so on. But until fairly recently I wasn’t too bad, and it’s only in the last few months that such prowess as I might once have possessed has deserted me. No matter how many times my wife takes me to task for saying la charme instead of le charme or, to take a word much in use at the moment, la masque instead of le masque, I can’t seem to get it into my thick head.

My father-in-law, aka Count Dracula, never misses a chance to point to my failure to master the French language after living fifty years in the country. Thank you Count. Your English is not up to much either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...