Thursday, July 16, 2020

New Advances in Medicine


Exercise prompts the liver to pump out a little-known protein that appears to rejuvenate the brain, a new study found.


Exercise may help change exercisers’ brains in surprising ways, according to a new study of physical activity and brain health. The study, which included both mice and people, found that exercise prompts the liver to pump out a little-known protein, and that chemically upping the levels of that protein in out-of-shape, elderly animals rejuvenates their brains and memories. 

I had a moment's hesitation in deciding between the relative merits of mice and men, but eventually opted for the mouse group as I felt the treadmill would prove less tiring than with humans.

First of all, my baseline dementia readings were noted and a battery of tests established my level at "moderate to severe". At this level, my dementia is apparent to all and a matter of excited gossip up and down the neighbourhood.

The group leaders, Drs Fang and Horowitz, then introduced me to the other members of my sample, all showing signs of cognitive decline.

The study was conducted in accordance with the strictest protocols. I managed, however, to avoid being slaughtered along with the other rodents in return for an undertaking to donate my brain for autopsy at some later date.



So, how did I fare? The results in my case turned out to be inconclusive. My dementia was now classified as "severe to moderate".

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Few Late Chrysanthedads

No one person's experience of dementia is quite the same as another's, but the account given below, within the confines of a shortis...